Thursday, May 22, 2014

(29) Working as a contract engineer (3/8).­­­­­

    TD2000 was a replica of the British sports car MGTD, with a few modern features added. The engine was Nissan 2000cc, with Electronic Fuel Injection, gear box is 5-gear manual (an automatic gearbox was also planned), rear wheels drive. The chassis was ladder-type, made of steel, body is plastic, leather seats, instruments modern with „retro“ type dials.


    The idea was born in the company called Marshall Cars in Sydney, N. S. W. Initially the car had carburetted engine, for volume production an EFI engine was selected. My job was to design the electrical system and to keep an eye on it during all phases of design, development and  production. After a few prototypes the project was acquired by another company, Geelong Agricultural in the state of Victoria. Again, after a few prototypes the project was bought by another company called Australian Classic Cars; it eventually ended up being owned by the Gasons in Ararat, Vic... . I was involved with all the various prototypes.
    Early in 1987 the great number of individual electrical components in the small space behind instrument panel forced a decision to integrate most of the components in one „black box“. The design fell to my lap, despite my virtually zero experience with either electronics or printed circuits design. With the assistance of several small companies the design was completed in about two months‘ time. As I was unable to find a manufacturer I decided to try it myself. I set up a small assembly workshop in our neighbour’s garage, and produced some 20 of „black boxes“ for the first prototypes. Most of these were „cobbled up“ from a variety of experimental parts, but most of them functioned correctly. At the end of prototype run I received a Purchase Order to produce 400 of the „black boxes“ for the anticipated production of TD2000 during the next 12 months, with some 1000 units expected to be produced annually thereafter. The Purchase Order marked the beginning of frantic activity: I had to secure supply of components from several small companies by issuing my Purchase Orders for them. I was planning to assemble the modules in my neighbour’s garage, at least initially, but I was casting around for a suitable workshop for rent. Also, I had to spend some $50,000 in purchasing of components I needed for the assembly, components such as enclosures, wiring and connectors assembly and such.
    During months of this frantic activity I failed to notice dark clouds gathering above the world’s economy; admittedly, a friendly bank manager urged me to be cautious, but I paid little notice to his fairly nebulous remarks – the lure of our first $million was too strong...
The first lightning of the ensuing financial storm hit me just at the time when I was ready to start volume production: the Purchase Order for delivery of the 400 modules was cancelled! And at the same time Machine Dynamics (an industrial robots manufacturer), where I was still managing their electrical design and assembly department, declared itself bankrupt.
    The activity which started a few months earlier in one direction, that of starting the production, repeated itself in the opposite direction – how to stop it. I had to cancel the number of Purchase Orders I issued to my suppliers; had to stop the still ongoing design of details of production; had to dismantle the little workshop in the neighbour’s garage; had to pay those few people who worked for me on subcontract at the Machine Dynamics; and had to dispose of the number of components already purchased – most of them sold at a huge loss (the time of financial crisis is ideal for buying, not for selling!)...
    As for myself, I lost my income from Machine Dynamics and was at the bottom financially – and without work! I applied for Unemployment Benefit, the meagre sum of which represented but some 20% of my income to date, and started searching for new contract. The contract came in about two months‘ time in the form of offer to work as an electrical engineer for Mitsubishi Motors in Adelaide, which offer I gladly accepted.
    Looking back I realised that I should have paid much more attention to the economic climate in the country and the world, but I have my doubts whether I would have acted any differently – who in the world is able to predict the World’s Economy Crisis (except for those who are in the position to kick it off)?

No comments:

Post a Comment