Wednesday, May 21, 2014

(28) Working as a contract engineer (2/8).

The electrical system of Nissan Pulsar/GM Astra had several variants. Incidentally, the Pulsar label belonged to Nissan, the Astra one to General Motors. The basic body shapes were sedan and coupe. Each of them was with, or without, the air conditioning, each with manual or automatic gearbox, each with two or four radio speakers, two or four headlamps, etc.
As soon as my work was finished (I was working from home, coming for meeting at the Nissan headquarters but once every couple of weeks), I received a telephone call from a company I never heard of before, a company called Machine Dynamics (later also Automation Dynamics). A voice was enquiring whether I would be able to design electrical system for a series of robots. My answer was „Of course I am able!“...
    The robots I knew till then were those I read about in the science-fiction literature: metallic human-like machines with a disjointed kind of movements.
    A couple of days after the telephone conversation I went to see the company, where I was taken for a tour of the factory by their boss by the name of Wheeler (or Whelan, not sure any longer). What I saw there was beyond my imagination at the time: the „robots“ were spider-like contraptions, each a couple of metres tall, moving on rails several metres above ground, each with pincer-like claws at the end of their arms. It was beyond my imagination, indeed, but I behaved as if I was working with similar machines every day.
   „What do you think?“, asked the boss. I told him that I would like to spend a day or two in their engineering department before submitting my proposal, and he agreed.
    As soon as I was free of Nissan, which was in only a few weeks, I went to sit down with one of Machine Dynamics engineers and listened to the general overview, and later next to their chief draftsman to observe his work and see how far in the contract  they were. Their contract was to produce several dozens of robots for manipulation of automotive components at Ford Motor Company.
    During that time I inspected the few robots they had at various stage of assembly, and perused a few their drawings. These were all produced by the traditional method of pencil, rulers, compasses; the graphic computers were still unheard of. Some computers were, of course, in the programmer’s office, the old IBM86 type; one of them had the first version of AutoCad installed, but it was not being used for anything.
    The robots were being designed and made for Ford Motor Company that was preparing two new vehicles for volume production. Thirty robots were destined for a sport car called SA30 (marketed as Ford Capri), and sixty robots were for assembly of Ford Falcon vehicle. Each robot was designed for a specific task, i.e. to lift, manipulate and hold in place for welding various parts of vehicles bodies.
    Each of the robots had between one and six moving arms (called axis in the trade). I regret to this day that I failed to take a photograph of at least one of them – picture is worth a thousand words...
    Each arm of these robots contained dozens of electrical components, such as motors, sensors, solenoids, and, of course, the interconnecting cables, with their own multitude of various components. Each robot had its own control panel the size of soft drinks vending machine The robots were powered from two different sources located within these controllers, 12VDC for general operation, and (about) 360AC (or DC, can’t remember) for some of the motors. And, finally, all the control panels were interconnected by cables buried in concrete channels under the factory floor. And that is the rough description of the electrical system I was required to submit my quote on.
    Their chief draftsman, an old Englishman called Norm C., unrolled for me several drawings, each containing one version of the entire electrical system. The drawings were at least a metre high, and several metres long, full of a multitude of closely-packed pencil lines. From the taped-on pieces of paper I was able to see that the initial drawing started with the paper size of about 1 x 1 metre, and additional paper sizes were being added in various directions as the draftsman was wrestling with the ever-increasing complexity of the job. Norm confided to me that it is all getting too much for him, and that he would like to leave it all and go back to the UK.
I went home, sketched from memory the most complicated robot on a piece o paper, and decided on my „computerised“ strategy. And I also decided to offer the Customer my services on the condition that I should be allowed to bring my own computer and printer to do the work.
I presumed (and later proved correct) that the electrical system of each of the control panel is similar; likewise, I presumed that the bases of each of the robots are electrically similar; and likewise with all their arms. Consequently I sketched their electrical systems on several drawings, one for the control panel, one for the base, one for the arm, with the electrical system as I imagined it to be – not exceedingly correct, but sufficient for the presentation. In the accompanying text I stressed that these drawing can be easily multiplied on the computer, and the copies modified to suit each of the panels/bases/arms.
    On presentation I was asked to demonstrate how such copying is made, and the resounding success of this presentation was the main factor for my winning the contract.
I spent some six or eight months in their design department, until all drawings were produced, inspected and approved by their chief engineer, an alert and intelligent little Englishman by the name Mike C. And I went home...
    For a few months I was working as a draftsman for a company called Flexdrive (or Collins, even Boeing, for they changed the name several times during my time there), designing and drafting a proposal for the Taiwanese navy vessel electrical system. They had a battery of IBM computers, with AutoCad software, and the job was relatively easy. However, the proposal was completed and I was sent home to wait for the reply from Taiwan (which never came in the end). I was not at home for more than a week when my old Machine Dynamics rang: your electrical system, Charles, is ready to be manufactured, and would I be interested in managing the manufacture, installation, testing and shipment to the Customer? Would I be ever!!!
    Apart from the stack of my drawings, which, after months of further development required substantial revisions, I was given an „aide“, young engineer straight from university of Paris by the name of Catherine ?, occasional help from several of the local software engineers, and a flock of electrical assemblers in the adjacent factory. There were about eight of them, men and women, permanent employees, but due to pressure from Ford we had to speed the production up, and at times I had up to about 25 operators, mostly contractors, to train, supervise and discipline (there were a couple of fistfights there during my time, mostly on the basis „I can solder joints better than you“, etc.).
    The contract lasted for about a year. During that time I kept updating my drawings in line with the changes requested by the Customer, supervised assembly of all the components, their testing and installation in the various parts of the robots, eventual disassembly, shipment and re-assembly of all the robots in the Ford factory; and, finally, instructing Ford operators on how to operate these strange new contraptions.
    During my time around these robots I was offered a new contract, this time back on cars, to design electrical system for a sports car called TD2000. Quote was not required, for the Customer, Marshall Car Company Pty Ltd, heard about me from Nissan, where they were getting an engine from for their new car. Just come, talk, and work from our office or from wherever, as long as you can deliver – most flattering and convenient arrangement.

    My work for Machine Dynamics ended quite ingloriously. Towards the end of 1987, or 1988, finalising delivery to Ford, and working on a proposal for new contract Machine Dynamics was hoping to win with another branch of Ford Motor Company, I did not receive my regular payment. A payment for myself and two electricians who were working through me as sub-contractors. The payment was behind some four or five weeks. Speaking to the chief accountant I discovered that the company had run out of money and is about to be declared bankrupt! It was days before Christmas, I had to pay off my two electricians from my own pocket, and spent a fairly miserable Christmas break at home. Over the next few months, while working on the TD2000, I attended a few creditor’s meeting, but did not get my Machine Dynamics money back – there were none left...

No comments:

Post a Comment