Wednesday, February 26, 2014

(25) Design draftsman’s job (5/6).

Straight after the VK model work began on another new car named JB Camira. The electrical engineer being still in the Quality Control Department the job to design the electrical system fell into my lap. Still being in full swing after the previous model I began in earnest…

The new model was yet another “new” for General Motors. New by virtue of being the first “world” car, in the sense that its various parts would be designed and manufactured by GM factory anywhere in the world. One of those parts, an instrument panel, landed on my desk already, from GM Isuzu in Japan. At first glance I saw that the electrical socket on its back was unsuitable for production, for its propensity to disconnect during vibrations, due to lack of locking mechanism. On reporting it I was told that the panel is in production in Japan already, and performing without failure. The panel was eventually installed in production vehicles, and became a source of many headaches to the car owners.

The new model was new in several ways: it was the first GM car with front wheels drive, first with 4-cylinder engine made in-house, and first with the engine located east-west. The body was also new, and it had a new electrical system as well: 

Production of sedan version began first, but I liked this shape better.

A few months after start of its production I heard that the old Swabian Otto is retiring, and now I understood why my work was being signed by him without a word of question – frankly, the old dear couldn’t give a damn…

By the way, it was only me who called him “the old Swabian”, based on a meeting I was in with him and a few of his fellow chief section engineers. I was sitting between Otto and another German, somewhere from Saxony. The two were quietly exchanging words in their native language when Otto, obviously exasperated, said something like “Weltes groses Gabe ist ein Schwabe” (a Swabian is the best gift to the world). The guy from Saxony sent back some sort of swearword which I could not understand, whereupon Otto turned red like rooster’s wattle and did not utter a word for the rest of the meeting. So, to me, he remained the Swabian, the world’s best gift. Despite some minor disagreements I remember him fondly.

After Otto, Bob Newton became the Chief Electrical engineer. With him, still in his role as lamp engineer, we designed and pushed into production rear lamps for LH Torana car, so we knew a bit about each other.

About a month after Bob N. became the Chief, my neighbour at the desk, Jack V., turns to me with the words “Congratulations, Charles!” “What to?” I asked. “Don’t you know? Go and see the announcement in the corridor”. There, on a piece of paper were the words that “effective from dot dot dot 1978 or 79 Charles Hatvani is transferred from drafting to engineering section in the function of electrical engineer.” I went to see Bob in his office: “Aaaah, finally!” said he. It transpired that the proposal for my transfer was originated by Otto, it was only finalised by Bob. My work did not change much, but I lost some money: as the draftsman I had plenty of overtimes, which was denied to the engineers.

A few months later, while still in the middle of JB Camira development, Bob N. was relocated somewhere else, and we had new boss. His name was Roger G., fresh from the USA where he studied at Stanford University, and also worked somewhere for a couple of years. He was about 30-35 years old, the son of the local GM managing director. He was presented to us by the local Chief Engineer, and assumed the seat vacated by Bob N. After a week or two we were summonsed into his office, one after another. For my interview I prepared a little list of items I was currently working on: new vehicle, new fuses – never before used in a GM car -, new wiring, new fuse/distribution box, all designed here by us…. His eyes became glazed right after the fuses; my “wiring” speech he missed completely. Instead, he announced that electricity is his weakest point; he would be more interested in how I am managing my job – any problems with the colleagues, draftsmen, mechanics? Work pressures? No? Why not? Well, I was not prepared for that sort of discussion, and he was somewhat disappointed; we parted without any cordiality. His influence on my work, and on the work of the section as a whole was zero. Soon, after a few months, he was promoted to the organisation’s stratosphere and we lost sight of him.

We were given another boss, Jeff J. He, until very recently, used to sit a few desks from me as a design draftsman on sheet metals. His contribution to the electrical section was even lesser than that of his predecessor’s…

No comments:

Post a Comment